Conditions for participation 2021
1. CEWE Stiftung & Co. KGaA, based in Oldenburg in Germany, hereinafter referred to as CEWE, is organising the "CEWE Photo Award 2021 – Our world is beautiful" photo competition. The competition's theme is to show off the beauty of the world as a central object of photographic interest. The final selection of the winning motifs will be made by a panel of judges. CEWE is awarding 1000 high-quality prizes. The winning photographs are presented in the “Winners” section on the website, and all prize winners are notified in writing by email and/or letter.
2. The main competition will include special theme awards with shorter durations. These special awards will be organised in various countries (regionally) and, as the case may be, along with cooperation partners. The conditions for participating in the main competition shall apply to all special awards and override any discrepancies. Refer to the corresponding pages on the competition platform for deviating regulations.
3. Eligible for participation are natural persons over the age of 18. Participation is not limited to customers of the organiser and participants are not required to purchase any goods or services. Participants with limited legal competence require permission from their legal representative. Employees of CEWE, their dependants and other persons involved in the competition’s preparation and realisation are excluded from participating. The organiser further reserves the right to exclude individuals from participating at the organiser’s discretion, provided that there are justified reasons for the exclusion, such as
- non-compliance with these conditions for participation
- unfair activities
3.3 manipulations intended to improve their chance of winning or to obtain other benefits, and
3.4 incorrect or misleading statements made when registering or submitting photos.
4. Participants may upload up to 100 photos which they themselves have taken, for which they possess the unrestricted copyrights and usage rights, and the motifs of which do not contradict the legal provisions of the country of origin, the legal provisions of the European Union, or the personal rights of the persons in the pictures. Participants have until 31 May 2021 to upload photos in ten categories: "Landscapes", "People", "Nature", "Sports", "Architecture and engineering", "Food", "Travel and culture", “Animals”, "Hobby and leisure" and "Aerial views”. Participation is only possible via the competition websites. Submissions made by post or any other way cannot be taken into account.
5. Each participant can manage the photos he or she has uploaded as well as information about and descriptions of the photos through a personal user account. For the purpose of uploading, the images shall have a size of at least 1,920 x 1,080 pixels and a file size of no more than 22 megabytes (MB). JPEG is the only file format permitted. Furthermore, each uploaded image must be available in an original-size version, which the organiser may request from the participant in certain cases for publication in exhibitions or print media as part of the marketing activities described below.
6. The organiser of the competition reserves the right to delete photo entries that deviate strongly from the topic specifications. Participants are not notified if their photos are deleted. The organiser also reserves the right to make changes or additions to the provided content at any time and without prior announcement, even if these changes or additions influence the conditions for participation in the competition.
7. By participating in the competition, the participant grants CEWE, as well as companies associated with CEWE, an irrevocable and non-exclusive right to use the uploaded photo(s) for their PR work, for an unlimited period of time and without any geographic restrictions. This shall happen only in the context of this and future competitions — including subsequent communication in which the participant has taken part. This includes the option of publishing, duplicating, reproducing and distributing for the purpose of self-advertisement and self-portrayal of CEWE in the context of photo competitions.
This permission includes the use of submitted photos for any form of printed and digital media, as well as in exhibitions
- Presentation in exhibitions
- Auctioning the exhibition pieces for a good cause
7.3 Publication on the internet and in social media networks (where appropriate with adjustments to cater for formats of specific channels, such as Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat)
7.4 Inclusion in other publications, including publications by third parties in press reports, and
7.5 Portrayal of the services of CEWE photo competitions.
7.6 Publication in a CEWE PHOTOBOOK for the CEWE Photo Award which may be passed on to third parties for advertising purposes for the CEWE Photo Award and for which a contribution towards expenses may be charged to these third parties.
Any commercial use going beyond this shall require separate approval by the participant.
- By participating, the participant confirms that he or she is the author of the uploaded images and thereby possesses unlimited usage rights to the photos. The participant further confirms that the photos he or she has uploaded are free from the rights of third parties, in particular, that all persons identifiable in the images have stated their consent to the aforementioned uses and that the property rights of third parties will not be violated by these uses. The participant hereby exempts CEWE from any claims by a third party.
9. The complete name of the participant shall always be specified as the author in connection with submitted photos which the organiser publishes.
10. The participant affirms that the content of the transmitted image files does not violate valid prohibitory standards, in particular provisions concerning distribution of child pornography (§ 184 et seq. of the German Penal Code). The organiser shall remove submissions which involve violation of the law, glorification of violence, pornography, racism or other offensiveness, or which are aimed at manipulating the competition. Participants are not notified if their photos are deleted.
11. No compensation shall be paid for publication of photos within the scope of the terms of publication. The material prizes and/or vouchers awarded by the organiser on the "Prizes" page shall not be paid out in cash and cannot be exchanged. Prizes may not be transferred to third parties. Participants shall refrain from using design tools such as frames, water marks or ornamental borders on photos they wish to upload. CEWE reserves the right to exclude any photos that have been manipulated in such ways from participation in the CEWE Photo Award and to delete them. Participants are not informed separately in such a case.
12. Participants are able to remove photos from the competition at any time by deleting them from their personal user account. This excludes photos that have already been posted on the "Winners" page after the jury has made its decision.
13. By uploading photos, the participant declares agreement with the conditions for participation.
14. Legal recourse is excluded. German law shall apply to the exclusion of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG). The place of jurisdiction is Oldenburg, Germany.
15. Severability clause: Should any of the provisions of these conditions for participation be or become invalid, in full or in part, this shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of these conditions for participation. The ineffective provision shall be replaced with the legally permissible provision that comes closest to the economic aim and purpose of the invalid provision. The same shall apply if there are any regulatory gaps in these conditions for participation.